HISTORY AND FACTS OF FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF POLK COUNTY
The First National Bank of Polk County was originally established and chartered in September, 1920 as Liberty National Bank located on Main Street in Cedartown. It was founded with $100,000 capital and $40,000 surplus. The bank actually opened in November, 1920. We were the first national bank to be chartered in the county on November 25, 1922.
Our bank has had seven presidents in the past 90 years, one of which was our first woman president. The president’s and years they served are as follows:
Liberty National Bank was located on Main Street in Cedartown for 43 years (1920 – 1963). During the first year, the bank was opened in the old Biltmore Café building on Main and Stubb (previously occupied by the Farmer's and Merchants Bank). Then the bank was stationery in the Liberty National Bank building (previously the Bank of Cedartown) across the street from Moore’s Pharmacy until 1963. In 1963, Polk County residents had their first peek at the newly constructed building on 117 West Avenue which is presently the Downtown Office of the First National Bank of Polk County.
On September 17, 1973, First National Bank began to expand in East Polk County by opening another office in Rockmart located on 131 Elm Street.
Expansion began again in 1977 when the drive-in facilities were built on College Street in Cedartown.
Then in 1989, construction began for the building located 967 N. Main Street which is presently the Main Office of First National Bank of Polk County. The bank held an open house ceremony on January 14, 1991; everyone was invited to celebrate this grand occasion. The Open House was celebrated New Orleans’ style with entertainment, food and door prizes.
In July of 1995, First National Bank acquired NationsBank (the Cedartown locations), moving their Downtown Office across the street to 144 West Avenue (presently the Polk County Administrative Building). A few years later, they moved back to their previous and present location at 117 West Avenue.
In September of 2004, First National Bank merged with the Bank of Upson in Thomaston, GA. With this merger the holding company, First Polk Bankshares, Inc. took the name SouthCrest Financial Group, Inc. First National Bank has become part of the SouthCrest Financial Group family of community banks, which also includes Bank of Upson (Thomaston, Georgia), Meriwether Bank & Trust (Offices in Luthersville, Manchester and Warm Springs, Georgia), SouthCrest Bank (Tyrone, Georgia), Bank of Chickamauga (Chickamauga, Georgia), and Peachtree Banks (Maplesville, Alabama).